Digital Bridges & BT Cellnet Make SMS More Fun
Edinburgh, Scotland & London, England, December 3rd, 2001. Digital Bridges Ltd. The global pioneer of mobile entertainment services and BT Cellnet the UK business of mmO2 plc, today announced that BT Cellnet has launched a number of SMS-based games, which are accessible to its entire user-base.
The games all utilise the Short Message System (SMS), otherwise known as texting. Texting is a worldwide phenomenon. It is one of the most widely used mobile services in the world, with an astonishing 10 billion messages sent worldwide each and every month and that number is still growing.
The games to be offered by BT Cellnet will allow users with any type of mobile phone, not just WAP handsets, to access and enjoy the games. The initial titles to be offered include Anagram rearrange the jumbled letters to make a word; Quizcall the most challenging trivia quiz on mobile; Guru a personal spiritual advisor on your phone and Christmas Quizcall Test your knowledge of the Holiday Season. These titles are the perfect antidote to this years repeats on TV. More titles will be announced and launched in early 2002.
Honey Arneja, a member of BT Cellnets Consumer Strategic Planning department, said "Texting and games are already two of the biggest revenue generators in the wireless market. Working closely with Digital Bridges allows us to offer our users access to a wide range of compelling titles, while remaining tightly focused on our core business objectives."
Brian Greasley, the CEO of Digital Bridges, said, The popularity of SMS services for simple communication is staggering. Now, we are offering users the chance to use the same simple service for something even more exciting. Games played over SMS allow more players to access and enjoy these groundbreaking new services.
Notes To Editors:
About BT Cellnet.
· BT Cellnet is the UK business of mmO2 plc.
· BT Cellnets 10.97 million customers (end September 2001) are served by approximately 4,000 customer care specialists.
· BT Cellnets GSM network covers over 99% of the population in the UK and
approximately 86% of the UK by land area, and comprises over 6,600 base stations.
· BT Cellnet has international roaming agreements with over 304 networks allowing our customers to receive and make calls in over 131 countries (end Sept 2001).
· In June 2000, BT Cellnet launched its GPRS network capability to the business sector and in 2001 introduced GPRS services to consumers in the UK. Work is underway to construct our 3G network in the UK. BT Cellnet has entered into arrangements with One2One, T-Mobiles UK network, under which BT Cellnet and One2One will co-operate on the roll-out of 3G infrastructure.
· BT Cellnet has over 300 wholly owned retail stores which consist of BT Cellnet outlets, DX Communications outlets, Mobile Phone Store outlets and BT Shops. BT Cellnet also has a 40% shareholding in The Link Stores Limited.
· BT Cellnet is the first UK mobile operator to have achieved registration to BSEN:ISO 4001, the international environmental Standard. The main theme of the Standard is continual environmental improvement and endorses BT Cellnets commitment to the positive protection of the Environment.
About Digital Bridges Ltd.
Digital Bridges is the world leader in the creation of entertainment channels for mobile devices. The company brings three major assets to the new medium of wireless entertainment: delivery technology, distribution and publishing capabilities and content design experience. Digital Bridges initial entertainment channel, Wirelessgames is currently carried live on approximately thirty mobile network operators around the world. The company supports all current and forthcoming technologies such as SMS, WAP, Java, video-streaming and colour handsets. For more information, please visit www.digitalbridges.com.
T: +44 (0)1753 565656
Digital Bridges Ltd.
Global Communications Manager,
E: [email protected]
T: +44 (0)1383-723234 / M: +447747-792247