Co-marketing agreement between Hewlett-Packard and DM offers Complete Solution for Secure Mobile Internet Services
Doing mobile Internet business gets safer as HP is appointed agent for world’s first end-to-end secure WAP banking solution29 August 2000: At last doing business on the mobile Internet has become safe for banks and their customers alike. Swedish Mobile Internet services company Digital Mobility InHand AB (DM) today announced that it has appointed Hewlett Packard (HP) as a key marketing partner for Digital Mobilitys end-to-end secure WAP solution targeted at banks and other financial institutions.
In a world first, Digital Mobility has developed a secure channel that guarantees secure communications between a bank and mobile users. DMs end-to-end solution overcomes one of the biggest barriers to WAPs widescale adoption as a transactional channel by banks and other financial players. By supporting encrypted sessions between the mobile users handset and the banks own in-house systems, DMs solution addresses potential weaknesses in the WAP 1.1 standard that have slowed its uptake to date by commercial organisations where customer security is mission critical.
Through its own Nordic Financial Services sales channels, HP will co-market DMs solution to banks and other financial services providers as a managed service running on HP hardware. The service will initially be hosted on Digital Mobilitys Stockholm-based WAPHub, with service rolling out across DMs other European points of presence including the UK over the next twelve months.
The new agent agreement consolidates more than a year of close co-operation between Digital Mobility and HP. As a member of Hewlett-Packards Mobile E-services Bazaar, Digital Mobility benefits from HPs global resources to support the sale of DMs suite of mobile Internet services to content providers, network operators and end users worldwide.
We are delighted to be working with Digital Mobility in developing world-leading solutions for the rapidly growing mobile e-services market, comments Atte Miettinen, Manager of Hewlett-Packards Mobile E-Services Bazaar, based in Helsinki, Finland.
Safe, secure end-to-end communications from bank to customer
As well as encrypting over-the-air communications between user and bank with the aid of a one-time key, DM s solution assigns a personal certificate to every user that verifies details of their mobile phone subscription and handset to authenticate them as a bona fide customer of the bank.
The session is handled via Digital Mobilitys WAPHub, a secure platform developed by Digital Mobility to support its suite of managed WAP services, including DMs own InHand business portal (www.inhand.net). InHand is already live in Sweden and Israel, and full commercial service starts in the UK this autumn after an extended pre-launch trial. Banks chosing DMs secure WAP solution can offer customers access to their WAP services via the InHand portal, or as their own independent managed service hosted via DMs WAPHub.
At last financial institutions and businesses of all kinds can chose WAP as a totally secure channel to conduct m-banking and other mobile commerce services, says Krister Jörlén, Managing Director of Digital Mobility InHand AB.
Now its never been easier for banks and other financial houses to roll out a safe, secure WAP offering to their customer base without worrying about development costs or time to market. We believe that theres nobody else out there with such an attractive offering for anyone who wants to add a totally secure WAP commerce channel to their existing business.
Weve already received tremendous interest in our secure WAP solution from banks, finance houses and travel companies worldwide, adds Jörlén. With Hewlett Packards global presence, were looking forward to an incredible response from the marketplace.
For further information, please contact:
Krister Jörlén, VD Johan Sjöquist
Digital Mobility InHand AB Chief Operating Officer, Digital Mobility Ltd
Tel: +46 (0)8-622 2772 Tel: +44 20 7738 1999
[email protected] [email protected]
Tel: +46 (0)8 4444 2846
Notes to Editors:
1. Operating from headquarters in London and Sweden, Digital Mobility Limited was established in 1998 to serve the "high net worth European executive" through provision of Information / Communication / Authentication / Transaction services provided through fixed and mobile networks.
2. Digital Mobility InHand AB is the wholly owned Swedish subsidiary of Digital Mobility Limited.
3. Digital Mobility Limited provides mobile users with timely, secure, personalised access and control over their assets through the convergence of portable and networked communication technologies. Digital Mobility aggregates and delivers content from third-party providers to mobile phone users, exploiting the capabilities of the emergent range of WAP handsets to provide busy travellers with any time, any place access to a range of mobile banking, stocktrading, news, travel, information and other content-based services.
4. Digital Mobility is launching its own portfolio of financial and information services under the InHand brand, and is also working closely with a number of major banking and financial services brands to develop and deliver their own m-banking offerings under their own brand name as a managed service. A collaboration with UK mobile network operator Guernsey Telecom will deliver a range of InHand services to Guernseys GSM mobile phone subscribers.
5. Digital Mobility Limited is backed by investment from Swedish Venture Capital fund Ledstiernan.
6. Digital Mobility is a member of the Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Forum.
Hewlett-Packard Company -- a leading global provider of computing and imaging solutions and services -- is focused on making technology and its benefits accessible to individuals and businesses through simple appliances, useful e-services and an Internet infrastructure thats always on. HP has 86,000 employees worldwide and had total revenue from continuing operations of $42.4 billion in its 1999 fiscal year. Information about HP and its products can be found on the World Wide Web at http://www.hp.com.